Indoor Air Quality Monitoring of Carbon Monoxide (CO) to prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Prevention of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning using Carbon Monoxide (CO) Monitoring
Following article lists sources which cause carbon monoxide poisoning, why measurement of indoor CO is necessary to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, harmful effects of high levels of carbon monoxide poisoning on human health and how indoor carbon monoxide is measured.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless gas. It is a poisonous gas known by its formula as CO. Carbon monoxide is produced by incomplete burning of fuels; natural gas used in appliances, furnaces, water heater, boilers, and vehicles. Any combustion process (burning) can result in the production of carbon monoxide. Typical sources of carbon monoxide poisoning in buildings are improperly vented furnaces and hot water heaters or exhaust fumes (from vehicles or furnaces) that have been drawn back into the building which cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Additional sources of carbon monoxide poisoning could include un-vented kerosene and gas space heaters; leaking chimneys and furnaces; back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces; automobile exhaust from attached garages; and tobacco smoke. Incomplete oxidation during combustion in gas ranges and un-vented gas or kerosene heaters may cause high concentrations of CO in indoor air leading to carbon monoxide poisoning. Worn or poorly adjusted and maintained combustion devices (e.g., boilers, furnaces) can be significant sources fro carbon monoxide poisoning, or if the flue is improperly sized, blocked, disconnected, or is leaking. Auto, truck, or bus exhaust from attached garages, nearby roads, or parking areas can also be a source.
It is believed that every year 50-60 people die because of carbon monoxide poisoning and are injured by unknowingly inhaling this colourless, odourless gas. It is known as “Silent Killer” as its effect is very slow. Being inhaled for longer period, it can become fatal for the occupants inside the building.
It enters into RBC (Red blood cells) and takes place of Oxygen. Further, it enters into the organs like brains, lungs and heart. Moderate levels of carbon monoxide poisoning can cause severe headaches, breathing problems, vomiting, burning eyes etc. Higher doses or prolonged exposure of carbon monoxide can cause death without warning.
Carbon monoxide is measured by using a carbon monoxide meter. Carbon Monoxide Meter makes it easy to take quick and accurate measurements of CO levels with a single compact instrument preventing carbon monoxide poisoning on time. Featuring the newest generation of electrochemical sensors, it responds very quickly to ambient changes in carbon monoxide concentration without the use of a pump.
To get your FREE CONSULTATION on carbon monoxide monitoring and prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning, click here.